Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games juggernaut will arrive on home entertainment at 12:01 A.M. on Saturday, August 18, as the first film in Lionsgate’s (NYSE: LGF) The Hunger Games franchise, which has already grossed nearly $400 million at the North American box office and is approaching $650 million at the worldwide box office, debuts on 2-disc DVD (plus digital copy), 2-disc Blu-Ray (plus digital copy), VOD and digital download with three hours of previously unavailable bonus materials in the biggest home entertainment launch in Lionsgate’s history.
The film, based on the New York Times best-selling novel from writer Suzanne Collins, achieved a remarkable four-week run as the #1 film at the North American theatrical box office where it has already grossed $392 million, ranking as the 14th highest-grossing film of all time, and it is approaching $650 million at the worldwide box office with an early June opening slated in China.
The 2-disc Blu-ray and 2-disc DVD arrive loaded with over three hours of extensive bonus materials including the comprehensive eight-part documentary, “The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games.” Other special features include a sit-down conversation with director Gary Ross as well as numerous featurettes that examine the global success of the books, the creation of the control room in the film and the filmmakers’ motivation behind creating new scenes that were not in the book plus much more. The Blu-ray Disc set contains an additional exclusive feature, “Preparing for the Games: A Director’s Process,” which looks at the progression of taking three key scenes from the book to the screen. Fans are able to pre-order the Blu-ray Disc and DVD now for $39.99 and $30.98, respectively.
BLU-RAY & DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*
- “The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games” – an eight-part documentary covering the “making of” the film in all aspects from the pre-production process all the way through the theatrical release and fan reactions
- “Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenon” featurette
- “Letters from the Rose Garden” featurette – insights from Donald Sutherland on the development of his role as President Snow
- “Controlling the Games” featurette – stories and concepts behind creating the control center
- “A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell”
- Propaganda Film (in its entirety)
- Marketing Archive
- “Preparing for The Games: A Director’s Process” (Blu-ray Exclusive)
* Subject to change
Official Website: http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/